TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - WHEW! That's pretty bad. Here's what I had in mind....
People Seeking Info

Subject WHEW! That's pretty bad. Here's what I had in mind....

Posted by Zuberman on April 13, 2015 at 1:00 PM
  This message has been viewed 549 times.

In Reply To Here's a picture! posted by flashstar on April 12, 2015 at 09:26 PM

Message I did this with one of mine a long time ago....cuz I fubar'd it, so don't feel bad :)

Get some Shurtape-metal tape.

photo 20150413_124354.jpg

Also, you need a heat-gun or torch. Honestly, I LOVE my heat-gun cuz it is relatively inexpensive and SO much easier to use than my torch, and safer in IMO. I have heated up all kinds of frozen fasteners and also used it to get those damn axle bearings to let go on my van. I really thought I was going to have to have it towed to a shop, but I did it thanks to my heat-gun!

[ http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/products/surface-prep/heat-tools/ht3500/ ]

Grab your breaker-bar (doesn't need to be extremely long) and put a strip of the metal tape over the top of the square drive, and then put another strip of metal tape over the square drive but perpendicular to the other strip you just put over the top.

photo 20150413_133006.jpg

photo 20150413_133321.jpg

Start thin, check it, and work up to thicker cuz trying to take layers off with that adhesive sticking will just muck it up. Later you will be TAPPING the drive with the tape on it into the recess with a hammer and you want it to be able to get a good grip in those rounded out spots so the metal tape is going to need to be a good bit thick. Wrap it tightly and neatly.

Have all the items ready to go and give yourself plenty of room to work because the actual attempt needs to move pretty quickly. You don't want the bolt to cool off.

On the heat-gun's highest setting, heat up the bolt for about 3 or 4 minutes from a distance of about two inches. Don't let the tip get too close to or touch the bolt. The bolt does not need to glow red. Turn the heat-gun off, and safely set it down on a non-flammable surface (concrete, etc) making sure the tip isn't touching anything. Most heat-guns have a cool-down feature where the fan keeps blowing for a few minutes.

Immediately put the drive in the recess and TAP it in with the hammer making sure the drive is seated as far in as possible. The tape will deform, but hopefully it will fill in the rounded spots.

Make sure the handle of the breaker-bar is at as much of a 90-degree angle to the drive as possible (don't know how much space you have to work in).

Hold the drive end with one GLOVED hand (don't burn your hand) trying to keep it snug in the recess and hit the breaker-bar handle with the hammer, but not too hard. You're just trying to vibrate/jar the bolt into breaking free. This takes some pushing and strength and leverage so don't use a creeper as that will cause you to roll away from the pressure you're exerting.

If you decide to try this, I hope it works for you :)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.